Friday, January 22, 2010

Arrival

I have arrived in South Africa safe and sound! The South Africans are very proud that they are hosting the world cup. As am I
So far I have learned about apartheid, Hector Pieterson, the Big Five, African pizza(american is better), and UNICEF.
The man I am staying with works for UNICEF, and he is very fascinating. He is helping coordinate the World Cup with the UN, which I think is awesome. And the woman who is showing me all the touristy things around South Africa, Penelope, works at a college here. She works with kids who stutter, but also with the students at the university. one of her clients, Mfundu, gave us a tour of Soweto, the township where Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu grew up. We went to the Hector Pieterson memorial and I learned all about how prevalent apartheid was and is in South Africa. Tonight and tomorrow night I am staying at the Pilansberg Game Reserve, and tomorrow I am waking up very early to go look at lions and hopefully leopards. I am slowly adjusting to the South African cuisine, but I miss spaghetti.

On the way to the reserve I waws able to see how the majority of South Africans live, in shacks and huts with tin roofs. I feel as though I have stepped in to a movie. And many of these people who live with so little are eager to help others. They are way more thankful with much less than what I have. I think they may impact me as much if not more than my impact on them.

I will put up pictures once we go on the game reserve tour so check back soon!
And if you have questions feel free to leave comments and I will gladly answer them.


Tootsiens, Rebekah

1 comment: