Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hanover

I am officially in Hanover! I arrived yesterday morning, and took a tour around the town and township. The relationship between the town and township is similar to that of the village and Lompoc. The town is where the shops and hotel and some people live, and the township is where the majority of the people of hanover live. The biggest difference is how segregated the town and township are. The majority of colored and black people live in the township, while the white people live in the town. Black and colored are two different races in South Africa. Black is the same as in America, the Africans. But the coloreds are those that are mixed of white and black. They speak a different language, and have a completely different culture.
As with any small town, when a new person arrives the entire town wants to meet the new person. The fact that I am new and from America is very intriguing to a town of 200. The fact that I am from California is even more intriguing to the people of Hanover. Everyone here is quite friendly and welcoming. Sometimes a little too friendly, but that is to be expected. It is a very safe town, and there is virtually no untriggered violence. The people are very trusting and trustworthy. There are 17 churches between the town and the township, but there is a definite lack of God here. From what I have observed so far the vast majority of the population are alcoholics. They use alcohol as a means of escaping their problems, and many are drunk or on hangovers daily. AIDS is obviously a big problem, but FAS, or fetal alcohol syndrome, is also a prevalent problem. I am beginning to understand why President Roosevelt(i think) pushed for prohibition. I begin teaching Tuesday. I have also been given an opportunity to volunteer at the medical clinic, and I start there on Tuesday as well.
Pray that the students will be receptive to me, as well as that I will be an example of God to the people of Hanover. While they are a struggling town with serious needs, their number one need is God. And as of yet there has been no one to be that example of Christ. Not even their pastors.

1 comment: